Trusted Virtual Domains for OpenSolaris
Trusted Virtual Domains (TVDs) are a new framework for the implementation of secure multi-domain / single-infrastructure computer networks like centralized data centers or single organizational LANs that span over different physical places. A Trusted Virtual Domain is a set of virtual hosts that are distributed across multiple physical machines and that share a common security policy. Computational resources from different owners share the same physical infrastructure, while strong isolation is enforced by modern CPU security functionality and a secure operating system.
The goal of this project is to implement the TVD concept in a production environment that is ready to use. We use OpenSolaris as the server operating system and make use of Solaris Zones as a lightweight virtualization technology to provide isolated execution environments.
With a TVD infrastructure, enterprises can separate information flows within a single network and assign employees access to specific parts of the system according to their business logic und sensitivity of data without the need to use dedicated hardware for each network segment. Compromise of parts of the system would thus leave other domains unaffected. The usage scenario includes data center and business networks, but could be anything from small to large networks. A user may take advantage of this by creating different domains for different actions. This could be for instance the separation of web activity and access to their private data.
Because of its comprehensive design, an implementation of the Trusted Virtual Domain concept has to consider a lot of differrent technologies. Theses include for example:
- Trusted Computing to ensure integrity of virtual machines
- Access Control to restrict intra-TVD communication
- Virtualization and isolation of TVD members
- Network virtualisation to separate network traffic
Our approach consists of two major components. A TVD Master stores and enforces a policy that is passed to the TVD Proxy, wich represents a local copy of the TVD Master. The proxy locally enforces the TVD Policy and assigns resources to virtual machines.
TVD-Solaris demo (high resolution, AVI) (AVI video, 160 MB)
TVD-Solaris demo (high resolution, MOV) (Quicktime video, 55 MB)
TVD-Solaris demo (low resolution) (MPEG-4 video, 15 MB)
- Hans Löhr, Thomas Pöppelmann, Johannes Rave, Martin Steegmanns, Marcel Winandy: Trusted Virtual Domains on OpenSolaris: Usable Secure Desktop Environments. Accepted for ACM STC 2010.
- Luigi Catuogno, Hans Löhr, Mark Manulis, Ahmad-Reza Sadeghi, Christian Stüble, Marcel Winandy: Trusted Virtual Domains: Color Your Network, Datenschutz und Datensicherheit (DuD) 5/2010, p. 289-298.
- Serdar Cabuk, Chris I. Dalton, Konrad Eriksson, Dirk Kuhlmann, HariGovind V. Ramasamy, Gianluca Ramunno, Ahmad-Reza Sadeghi, Matthias Schunter, Christian Stüble: Towards automated security policy enforcement in multi-tenant virtual data centers, Journal of Computer Security, IOS Press, Vlo. 18, Number 1, pp. 89-121, 2010.
- Luigi Catuogno, Alexandra Dmitrienko, Konrad Eriksson, Dirk Kuhlmann, Gianluca Ramunno, Ahmad-Reza Sadeghi, Steffen Schulz, Matthias Schunter, Marcel Winandy, Jing Zhan: Trusted Virtual Domains - Design, Implementation and Lessons Learned, INTRUST2009 - The International Conference on Trusted Systems, Springer, to be published.
- Luigi Catuogno, Hans Löhr, Mark Manulis and Ahmad-Reza Sadeghi, Marcel Winandy: Transparent Mobile Storage Protection in Trusted Virtual Domains, 23rd Large Installation System Administration Conference (LISA '09), USENIX Association, 2009.
- Hans Löhr, Ahmad-Reza Sadeghi, Claire Vishik, Marcel Winandy: Trusted Privacy Domains - Challenges for Trusted Computing in Privacy-Protecting Information Sharing, 5th Information Security Practice and Experience Conference (ISPEC'09), Springer, 2009.
- Rani Husseiki, Yacine Gasmi, Ahmad-Reza Sadeghi, Patrick Stewin, Christian Stüble, Martin Unger, and Marcel Winandy: Flexible and Secure Enterprise Rights Management based on Trusted Virtual Domains, ACM Workshop on Scalable Trusted Computing (STC 2008), ACM, 2008.